WE'RE HAPPY TO ANSWER YOUR [QUESTIONS]
After all, commissioning a mural is a big deal! We want you to feel comfortable from the beginning of the process to the end.
WHAT SERVICES DO YOU OFFER?
Custom, hand-painted artwork and murals. Every piece we do is designed from scratch to meet your color scheme, subject matter, size and style. Have your mural painted directly on the wall, or painted on canvas in our studio, and then installed like wallpaper. Canvas murals are removable and shippable. So no matter where the wall, we've got you covered!
We offer the following services:
- live painting for parties
- live painting trade shows or business meetings
- painting on furniture
- painted floors, ceilings, glass and metal
- donor walls with painted naming options
- painted backdrops
- memorial art & dedications
- public, commercial & residential murals
- murals on canvas or on-site
- can ship murals or travel
- painted portraits
- faux finishing & gilding
- painting for tv and video
- painted business signage
WHAT’S THE PROCESS OF GETTING CUSTOM ART & MURALS?
1. Free Consultation
We start with a free consultation. During your consultation, we'll do the following
- discuss the area you'd like enhanced
- talk about any possible ideas you might have
- look around at your decor and the room's style and color palette
- take a few measurements and photos.
2. Sketch & estimate
We'll set up a second consultation to present a sketch/composition of your mural, along with an estimate.
At this point, we'll discuss any changes you might have to the design or personalizations you might like to add.
3. Timeline And Paint
Once you've approved a design, we'll establish a timeline to get started on your custom work of art.
HOW MUCH DOES A MURAL COST?
Our murals are completely custom. The cost of your mural depends on the following factors:
- amount of detail
- wall texture
- scaffolding needs
- and other variables, such as ceilings and stairs
- materials needed
- shipping costs
The cost is usually discussed at the first consultation so we can ensure a design that fits your budget. Generally speaking, an average 12' x 9' wall might cost anywhere from $800 to $3200, depending on the aforementioned variables.
HOW MUCH TIME DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE A MURAL
The amount of time it takes to complete a mural depends on the mural. We know your schedule is important; so we provide a time estimate before paint ever touches the wall. A typical 12’x9’ wall could take anywhere from 1-4 days, depending on the amount of detail.
DO YOU PAINT ON WALLS OR CANVAS? HOW ABOUT OTHER SURFACES?
We can paint your mural either directly on your wall, or on durable, synthetic canvas.
1. Murals painted on canvas
Canvas murals are painted in the Hattas Public Murals studio and then delivered to your home/business. They are installed like giant pieces of wallpaper. Since the mural is painted off site, it's very convenient for you. It takes only a few hours to hang the finished canvas. If you'd like to see the progress of the mural, we'll email you photos to keep you updated. The other advantage to having your mural painted on canvas is that you can have the mural taken down from the wall, should you decide to relocate, and reinstalled in your new space.
All that is required is that your walls be prepped with a pre-wall covering primer, for premium adhesion. "Roman Pro-977 Ultra Prime Acrylic Primer/Sealer" (sold at Home Depot) is ideal. We are happy to recommend a prep painter, should you need one.
2. Murals painted directly on the wall
Some murals, on the other hand, are best painted onsite. This would be best for some exterior murals, strangely shaped niches or walls, or simple "spot" murals (such as a few flowers or lettering painted throughout a room).
WHAT TYPE OF PAINT DO YOU USE?
For most murals, a high-quality acrylic paint is used and guaranteed to last for many years without chipping or fading. This paint is very durable and can be washed with soap and water without being removed. If a mural is in a space with extreme temperature or humidity elements (such as kitchens, bathrooms and exteriors), a clear protective coat is recommended as a final step. In some cases, an oil paint or exterior paint may be used. This will depend on the project's needs.
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE MY WALLS FOR A MURAL?
In order to ensure a beautiful final work of art, the walls need to be free from holes, dents, dirt or residue. If a mural or faux finish is being painted directly on the wall, the wall should have a clean coat of latex wall paint (the color can be determined before starting.) If a canvas mural is to be hung on the wall, the wall must first receive a coat of Pre-Wallcovering Primer (such as "Roman Pro-977 Ultra Prime Acrylic Primer/Sealer" sold at Home Depot.) We are happy to recommend a prep painter, should you need one.
WILL YOU TRAVEL?
We are happy to travel. While Los Angeles, CA; Orange County, CA and Chicago, IL are the basis of our operation, we will go almost anywhere. In some cases, we'll meet you at your location for an in-person consultation. Otherwise, we can do an on-phone or email consultation. We'll compile a sketch and estimate, we just ask that you email photos and measurements of your space.
Your artwork can be painted in our studio and then shipped to your location. We'll contact an installer to hang your mural. Otherwise, we'd be happy to paint your mural onsite with added travel costs.
CAN YOU PAINT ANY SUBJECT AND ANY STYLE?
Yes! Hattas specialized in 100% custom work, from portraits to animals, landscapes to cityscapes, mythological scenes to religious images. If you can dream it, we can do it. We can also paint in any style - from realism to impressionism, abstract to modern, cubism to trompe l'oeil. If you have a favorite artist or style, we can make your artwork resemble your unique taste.
HOW DO I COMMISSION A PORTRAIT? WHAT'S THE COST?
Selfies come and go, but a portrait will be cherished for generations. Your oil-painted portrait is more than just a likeness; it's developed to draw the viewer in and truly capture the essence of the subject. Lead Artist, Jeanine Hattas Wilson, will collaborate with you to accommodate your vision and tell your story.
Portrait fees start at $800. The price is based on the size of the painting, how much of the subject is depicted, number of people or pets in the piece, and the complexity of the clothing, props and background.
Travel expenses, framing costs and shipping are additional costs. A one third, non-refundable deposit is required upon the signing of the contract. A second payment of one third is due upon approval of the preliminary design and color study. The balance is due upon approval of the final portrait.
Jeanine specializes in the following:
New Baby Portrait
- To begin, send a message to Jeanine Hattas Wilson and let her know you're interested in having a portrait painted. Mention the size of the painting you want, how much of the subject is to be depicted (head & shoulders, half length, three-quarter length, full length), the number of people or pets in the piece, and the complexity of the clothing, props and background.
- Jeanine will respond with an estimate for your portrait. Upon approval, Jeanine will schedule a meeting with you.
- During your meeting, Jeanine will compose the design for the portrait, do some renderings and take photos. This session typically takes between one to three hours, depending. Once approved, a one third, non-refundable deposit is required upon the signing of the contract.
- Next, Jeanine will compose a preliminary design and color scheme for the portrait. A second payment of one third is due upon approval.
- The final painting will take anywhere from one week to a couple months, depending on the size, detail and availability. Jeanine is happy to work with your schedule.
- Once completed, Jeanine will send images of the portrait for your approval. Minor adjustments are no extra charge. Larger changes that require more than five hours will incur an added cost at $100/hour.
- Once approved, Jeanine will personally deliver the portrait within 50 miles of Los Angeles. The balance will be due upon arrival. For long distance clients, Jeanine will have the artwork sent through an insured carrier. The client is responsible for the delivery costs. The balance and delivery cost are due before shipping. Paypal is accepted.
Head, or Head & Shoulders
(Plain or loose background,
8" x 10" = $800
9" x 12" = $950
11" x 14" = $1150
12" x 16" = $1400
16" x 20" = $1750
18" x 24" = $2200
20" x 24" = $2400
24" x 30" = $2950
1/2 or 3/4 Figure
(plain or loose background,
20" x 24" = $3200
22" x 28" = $3500
24" x 30" = $3800
24" x 36" = $4000
26" x 32" = $4000
30" x 36" = $4500
36" x 48" = $5500
48" x 60" = $8500
(plain or loose background)
30" x 36" = $5500
36" x 48" = $6500
48" x 60" = $9800
Each additional portrait or figure on the same canvas is an additional 50%.
Backgrounds are typically less detailed than the portrait. For a more highly detailed background, add 50% to the portrait cost.
Any possible travel costs are added for projects 50 miles outside Los Angeles.
Shipping charges for projects 50 miles outside Los Angeles are not included, and will be added accordingly.
Framing is not included. However, Jeanine is happy to take care of framing for an additional $100 fee, plus the cost of the frame.
WHAT TYPES OF PAYMENT DO YOU ACCEPT?
We can accept checks, cash, and major credit cards (Visa and MasterCard).
Once you are happy with your mural's preliminary sketch/design, we will need a 50% non-refundable deposit to schedule your job. Once your artwork is completed and you're 100% happy, we will collect the remaining 50%.
A one third, non-refundable deposit for your portrait is required upon the signing of the contract. A second payment of one third is due upon approval of the preliminary design and color study. The balance is due upon approval of the final portrait.
ARE YOU INSURED, LICENSED AND BONDED?
Yes, all three. Our CA State License Number is 995544. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org